I have a busy week this week with our children home from school on a winter break and some extra work. I will get to emails and comments as I am able to. I apologize in advance that I may not be able to be as prompt as I would like to be. Thanks for your understanding and patience! You are more than welcome to comment here. I know many of you will encourage each other. I love what an amazing group we have and how you support, respect, love and build up each other. THANK YOU for that! I am so grateful for each of you!!!!!!
THIS WEEK’S CHALLENGE
I have another little challenge for you, ladies! Last week was the SMILE challenge. I’d love to hear some reports about how that has gone. 🙂
If your husband does something that blesses you, something that you benefit from in any way – THANK him.
Smile, have a friendly voice, thank him and maybe even give him a real hug, too!
I know, it’s crazy, right!?!?!!? 🙂
In a man’s world, spoken or visible appreciation is HUGE! For your husband, hearing “thank you” or “Great job, Honey!” may actually mean more to him than a long love letter from you or even the words, “I love you.”
If you haven’t been thanking him – it may feel a bit awkward at first to thank your husband. That’s ok! You can do this! Don’t expect anything back from him. Just thank him because God commands us to “give thanks in all circumstances for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I Thessalonians 5:18
When should we thank our husbands? Here are some of my suggestions for your consideration. Don’t do all of these at once! Spread them out. Maybe do one every day or so, or thank him as he does some of these things. Make it a new habit. Be sincere.):
- Thank him for working to provide for the family sometimes, even if you work too, even if you make more money than he does. Most men view providing financially as the primary way they show love to their families. (From Shaunti Feldhahn’s book “For Women Only”)
- When he has had a particularly difficult day – THANK HIM for working so hard to take care of his family.
- When he helps with the children. Yes, they are his children, too, but it is a great thing to thank him for taking some of the burden off of you. He is blessing you. He could be at a bar or sitting in front of the TV ignoring the kids. Even if he is doing something we think he “should” do, we can thank him and appreciate him. This encourages him to be more involved as a father. Men respond to appreciation, admiration and genuine praise. It motivates them to do even better. Aren’t we all like that, really? Don’t we all want to do even more when someone shows real appreciation?
- Thank him for complimenting you when he does and ACCEPT his compliments graciously.
- ANYTIME he does any kind of chores around the house (thank him, don’t criticize him! Especially if you would like him to continue to help you!)
- Thank him for his leadership, for carrying that weight in the family, even if he hasn’t started leading yet. You can step down and allow him space and time to start leading, and you can thank him for his leadership. There may even be ways he does try to lead that you could appreciate that you hadn’t noticed before.
- Thank him when he gets something for you at the store.
- Thank him any time he buys you something. Thank him for his thoughtfulness and generosity!
- Thank him for taking care of the yard or the cars or for fixing things around the house. SMILE and thank him and tell him when he does a good job. Avoid criticizing how he does things as much as possible. Let him experience having a fully happy wife, a content wife. That is every husband’s greatest dream!!! To do something for his wife and for her to be completely satisfied with his efforts.
- Thank him for taking you and your children to church if he does, or thank him for allowing you to go if he does not go with you.
- Thank him for disciplining the children, stand behind his decisions as a father.
- Thank him for being a great dad.
- Thank him for being a wonderful husband.
- Thank him for his strengths – his strong work ethic, his patience, his forgiving spirit, his eye for detail, his careful decision making, his responsible driving, his character, his integrity, his faith in Christ, his carefulness with money, etc…
- Thank him for being faithful to his wedding vows to you if he has been. “Honey, I just want to tell you that it means the WORLD to me that you have been faithful to me in our marriage. Thank you for being a man of your word and for being a man of integrity.”
- Thank him for being here with you and for the honor of being his wife.
- Thank him for bringing fun into your life and family.
- Appreciate his sense of humor.
- Thank/appreciate him in front of your children often and in front of other people – this makes most husbands feel like they are on top of the world!
- Thank him for the difference he makes in the world by doing a good job at his profession.
- Thank him if he sends you a sweet text/email.
- Thank him for coming home and being with you and the family.
- Thank him for eating supper with you.
- Thank him/appreciate him for having sex with you or cuddling with you.
What would it mean to you for you to hear your wife say, “Thank you” for the things you do for her and your family? How much does it mean to see her smile a real smile and to tell you how much she appreciates your efforts? I would love to hear from you!
Let me know how things go!