To be the women Christ calls us to be, we must have a basic understanding of the most fundamental truths of the Bible. Otherwise, we will be tossed by the wind and misled. And boy-oh-boy, are there ever some misleading winds howling in the world today!
I want us to be rooted firmly in our faith so that we can be the wives, moms, and women of God Jesus desires us to be.
I hope to share some of what the Lord has been doing in my life in the past two months very soon. But first, I want to be sure we are building our lives on the Solid Rock of Scripture and Christ. Without a firm foundation, our lives will not survive the storms that lay ahead.
Here are 13 bedrock truths from the Bible to help us stand firm.
1. There is only one God in existence – the God of the Bible!
- For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
- You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! James 2:19
- Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.” Isa. 44:6
2. God created the world and universe by His powerful Word.
- “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Gen. 1:1
- God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day. Gen. 1:31
- For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. Col. 1:16
- Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. John 1:1-3
3. The Bible is the only source of absolute truth and authority.
- All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim. 3:16-17
- “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” John 17:17
4. God alone decides what is good and evil. He is our only Judge in the end.
We must honor God’s Word and wisdom over man’s word and wisdom.
- Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Isa. 5:20
- And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.” Matt. 28:18
- For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. 2 Cor. 5:10
5. God created all people in His image, giving each person incredible value.
From unborn babies through old age, every person’s life is precious and sacred.
- “You shall not murder.” Ex. 20:13
- And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning: from every beast I will require it and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man. “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image. Gen. 9:5-6
- “When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman’s husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.” Ex. 21:22-25
6. God created people with a divine purpose. We are not cosmic accidents.
- And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Gen. 1:28
- The people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise. Isa. 43:21
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Eph. 2:10
- So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Cor. 10:31
7. God specifically created two distinct genders.
- So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Gen. 1:27
- And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Gen. 2:22-24
8. God designed marriage and family for His holy purpose to display the mystery of the Gospel.
We don’t have the authority to alter His design. Our lives, marriages, and families are blessed as we yield to God’s design and His wisdom instead of following the world’s dysfunctional, twisted ways. Marriage and family is the foundational unit for healthy societies.
- Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one’s wife for any cause?” He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” … Matt. 19:2-9
- Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. Heb. 13:4
- Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth. Mal. 2:15
- Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 2 Cor. 6:14
- In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. Eph. 5:28-33
- Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered. 1 Pet. 3:7
9. There is one human race.
We are all biological descendants of Adam and Eve. There are different ethnicities and cultures, but we are all related. We come from the same DNA and are equally precious in God’s sight. We are all called to love and honor one another.
- And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place. Acts 17:26
- “Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matt. 10:31
- Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Rom. 13:9-10
10. There are two spiritual conditions:
Lost or saved. Hell-bound or heaven-bound. Spiritually dead or spiritually alive. We all begin this life as lost and spiritually dead. We all are in desperate need of a Savior. Thankfully, God loved us too much to leave us in this terrible condition.
- “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10
- All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isa. 53:6
- To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours: 1 Cor. 1:2
11. There is one way to heaven and it is through Jesus Christ, alone.
It is through faith in Jesus’ death for us on our behalf, paying the price for our sins in full, that we might be right with God. Not because we earned salvation, but because of God’s amazing grace in allowing Jesus to earn our salvation.
- Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6
- Referring to Jesus, “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12
- For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 1 Tim. 2:5
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.” John 3:16-18
12. Jesus earns our salvation for us.
Salvation is by faith alone. We don’t earn it and we don’t earn heaven. When we come to Christ as Savior, we also bow to Him as LORD of all in our lives from that moment on. We turn from all of our sins that day to Christ.
- For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Eph. 2:8-9
- Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Rom. 5:1
13. Genuine salvation leads to life change and holiness.
You can’t be saved without kneeling to the Lordship of Christ and submitting to the crucifixion of self. Good works result from knowing Jesus as the fruit of His Spirit living in us.
We invite Him to transform us and empower us to live holy lives that please the Lord. Out of incredible gratitude and love, we entreat Him to help us grow from spiritual infancy to maturity. We confess any sin the moment we see it every day. We depend on Jesus and His Spirit to help us live righteously, longing to bring glory and honor to Him.
- Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Rom. 10:9
- “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?” Luke 6:46
- So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Cor. 5:17
- And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful. Titus 3:14
- Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Rom. 12:2
- I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal. 2:20
Guard yourselves, dear sisters!
The god of this age, Satan, is a liar and deceiver who is deluding everyone he can, seeking to destroy the people God loves. He is the enemy of anyone who seeks Christ. He is at work overtime right now.
Jesus said that the elect could even be deceived in the last days if they are not careful.
Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.2 Tim. 3:12-13
Please always check everything anyone says against the Bible. Let’s test what we hear that we may handle God’s Word rightly.
Want to avoid being deceived by the Deceiver of this age?
Be well-grounded in God’s Word/sound doctrine. Devote yourself to prayer. Seek the Lord wholeheartedly. Repent of any sin immediately as soon as you notice it. Walk by the Spirit.
I pray that we may all draw nearer to the Lord this year than ever and that we might experience more of His healing, truth, power, and blessing than ever before.
Much love, sweet sisters!
I can’t wait to share the Lord’s treasures, encouragement, strength, and blessing together this year!