A guest post by Nneka Simone. I appreciate her vulnerability and willingness to share her story on this incredibly important topic. May we all be reminded of the sanctity and value of every human life, no matter how small:
God designed the beautiful act of sex to unite husbands and wives and to bring forth children. Having been raised in my faith, I knew that sex before marriage was a sin and I was passionately determined to avoid it at all costs.
I read loads of books about purity and chastity, distributed chastity material to teenagers in my church, and even gave chastity talks.
However, one night, my boyfriend and I fell down the slippery slope of temptation and I got pregnant that very first time.
As a well-known woman in my church community, I was ashamed of the pregnancy and knew that I looked like a liar and a hypocrite. Some people lost respect for me and stopped speaking to me.
More importantly, I felt ashamed before God because I knew that I had grieved his heart. I humbly turned to my loving Saviour and genuinely repented of my sin and willingly received His compassion and forgiveness.
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
From the moment I discovered that I was pregnant, I did everything I could do to protect, love, and care for my child. I never gave abortion a thought. I knew it was a violent act of murder to a helpless, vulnerable, and precious child of God.
Motherhood Has Been a Blessing
My son is a wonderful, loving, and delightful child who enjoys every moment of his life. God has blessed me with a loving heart to nurture him and the financial means to provide for him.
God also nurtured my relationship with my child’s father and we had a beautiful and simple wedding when our son was 6 months old.
Although motherhood is challenging and demanding in many ways, my son is a wonderful gift from God. I’m sharing my story in this post as an act of thanksgiving to God for his generous mercy and for the life of my son.
I pray that it will be instrumental in helping women to appreciate their fertility and value their children.
Satan’s Evil Agenda for Women
Satan has had an agenda to deceive, manipulate and mislead women from the beginning of time. Satan went after Eve in the garden because he knows the power and influence women have over men, children, families, and society.
Today, women are being encouraged to:
- See our own babies as burdens and inconveniences, rather than blessings and gifts from God.
- Seek satisfaction only in our academic and career accomplishments, rather than in raising children and caring for a family.
- View duties related to marriage and family life as oppressive, rather than loving acts of sacrifice that bring glory to God.
- See sexual activity as something that is solely for our personal pleasure (apart from marriage or childbearing), rather than a gift from God that fosters emotional bonds in marriage and brings forth children.
- See our ability to conceive as a burden and a curse, rather than a gift and a blessing.
- Render ourselves infertile through contraception, rather than appreciating and valuing our ability to nurture life.
- See abortion as a right that gives women freedom and happiness, rather than an act of violence, cruelty, and murder.
- See our bodies as our own, rather than as belonging to the Lord.
- See a child in our womb as our property that we can dispose of if we wish, rather than as a precious child of God created in His image for incredible and eternal purposes.
- Be proud of our past abortions, rather than acknowledge that abortion is a terrible sin from which we must repent and seek God’s forgiveness and healing.
- Believe that God only wants to judge and condemn us for our sins rather than forgive us and show us His love.
Now that we are clear on Satan’s anti-life, anti-family, and anti-motherhood agenda, let’s explore God’s perspective on fertility, children, and motherhood.
God Loves and Cherishes Men, Women, and Children
- God sees fertility as a blessing. In fact, his first command to Adam and Eve was that they multiply:
- “And God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fertile and multiply.’” Genesis 1:28
- God sees motherhood as a blessing.
- “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.” Proverbs 31:28
- God compares His love for us to a mother’s love. This shows how highly He values women and motherhood.
- “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” Psalm 49:15
- God creates each child in the womb.
- “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.” Psalm 139: 14-15
- God sees children as a heritage, a reward, and a blessing.
- “Lo, sons are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.” Psalm 127:3-5
- God establishes an important plan for each child before he or she is born. (This includes children conceived in adultery and sexual assault.) God loves each of us and has a plan for us no matter how we were conceived.
- “But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and had called me through his grace.” Galatians 1:15
- “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Jeremiah 1:5
- “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139: 16
- God is the author of life and wants us to live fully.
- “The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy but I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10
- “I am the way, the truth and the life.” John 14:6
- Children belong to God from the womb.
- “But you are He who took me out of the womb; you made me trust while on my mother’s breasts.” Psalm 22:9
- “From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.” Psalm 22:10
- God owns our bodies and our children’s bodies. We don’t.
- “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s”. 2 Cor 6: 19-20
As we see the pro-death abortion laws gaining ground, it may be tempting to get disheartened and give in to despair about the direction our culture is heading, but there is no need to do so. As Christians, we are people of HOPE and God has given us a clear roadmap to heal our land.
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
This verse tells us that Christians are responsible for the direction of their countries. As Christian women, we need to humble ourselves, pray, seek God’s face and turn from our wicked ways. Then God will heal our land and conquer this satanic agenda.
Things You Can Do to Make a Difference
Here are some actions we can all employ to foster God-honouring lifestyle in which all children are valued.
Meditate on the Word of God day and night. (Psalm 1:2)
- Wash your mind daily with the Word of God. (Ephesians 5:26)
- Read the Bible to your children. (Deuteronomy 11:19)
- Teach Sunday School at your church if you believe God is calling you to do so.
- Pray about starting a women’s Bible study in your neighbourhood.
- Pray the Word of God over yourself and your family.
Recognise that everyone is a precious child of God and treat everyone with love and respect.
- Since all life is valuable, do good works to help vulnerable members of society: eg. the homeless, illiterate adults, underprivileged children, the elderly, and those with debilitating diseases. (Matt 25:31-46)
- Tell your children every day that they, and all children in the world, are gifts and blessings from God. (Psalm 127:3-5 and Proverbs 17:6)
- Treat single mothers and unmarried pregnant woman with kindness, compassion, and respect. Seek to humbly, gently help to restore them to fellowship with the Lord and the Body of Christ or share the gospel that they may come to know the salvation Jesus offers to them and their children. (Gal. 6:1)
- Express godly kindness and compassion to women who have had abortions and encourage them to pray, repent, and seek forgiveness and salvation/restoration. (James 5:16)
Humbly and fully repent of any sin in your own life and invite God to empower you to live a holy life.
- If you have had an abortion in the past, acknowledge it as a sin, repent before God and trust that he has forgiven you. Seek godly counselling to help you to heal emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually. (1 John 1:9)
- Ask God to cleanse you of inadvertent sin (Psalm 19:12) and allow the fruit of the Holy Spirit to grow in your heart. We can only point people to Christ and His love of God for children if we are filled with the Holy Spirit and demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5:22-23).
- When single, make every effort to save sex for marriage. Avoid being alone with your boyfriend so that you would not fall into temptation.
- Avoid porn and even sexual/romantic books, movies, music, websites that create temptation for you.
- When married, make every effort to protect your sexual purity. Avoid being alone with other men. Avoid private conversations and emotional/spiritual intimacy with other men.
Value and cherish motherhood and children.
- Understand that motherhood is far more sacred and special than your education or your career. Submit all areas of your life to the Lordship of Christ including motherhood, your education, your career, and your ministry. Invite God to use them all for His glory!
- If you do become pregnant out-of-wedlock, protect the precious life in your womb no matter how your family and your church community react. You are not alone. God has created many pro-life organizations that help women in your situation.
- When married, prayerfully consider choosing Natural Family Planning methods (eg. Daysy, Lady-Comp, the Billings Ovulation Method) rather than contraception. Be open to life and believe that God will help you to provide for your children. Don’t let fear keep you from having another child. (Gen 1:28)
- If you are a victim of sexual assault, understand that the child is still precious and loved by God. An abortion would not erase the trauma of the assault. Either commit to raising that child or give it up for adoption to a loving couple. Adoption is a beautiful option.
Prayerfully get involved.
- Educate yourself on pro-life issues and get involved in the pro-life movement in your community. (Matthew 5:10).
- Focus on becoming biblically-correct, not politically-correct, and full of God’s love for others regardless of what persecution you may face. (Matthew 5:10)
- Pray about becoming a foster parent, an adoptive parent, or youth mentor so you can be instrumental in protecting children in vulnerable situations.
With God’s wisdom, love, and power, we can be like the Proverbs 31:25 woman who laughs at the days to come and daughters of Sarah who do what is right and do not give in to fear (1 Peter 3:6).
Books Recommended by Simone about a Christian missionary who adoped 14 children:
- Kisses from Katie: a Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie Majors
- Daring to Hope by Katie Majors