One of the most powerful ways to pray is to pray the promises and truths of God over other people and ourselves. This way, we know we are praying in God’s will and when we pray in agreement with God’s will, we know He hears us.
Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:23-24
We must be careful with this! God is not a genie who gives us everything we ask for. But when we are walking in the power of the Spirit, in obedience to the Lord, and we are abiding in Him and His Word is abiding in us, we pray according to God’s will. That is what it means to ask for things in Jesus’ Name. We are praying according to His will and for the purposes of His kingdom. Our prayers are powerful and effective if we are walking in the righteousness of Christ (James 5:16).
To get ready to pray for other people, or ourselves, we’ll want to:
- Have a saving relationship with Jesus ourselves.
- Confess and repent of any sin in our own lives.
- Praise God for His amazing character.
- Thank God for His goodness and His good gifts in our lives.
In this prayer, I am assuming your husband is a believer. But even if he is not, it’s fine to pray for him like this, asking God that he might become a believer in Christ and that he might be completely transformed by the abundant new Life Jesus has prepared for him.
- First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, or kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 1 Tim. 2:1-4
It is our sacred responsibility and honor to stand in the gap for our husbands, knowing that they are under constant spiritual attack as the leaders of our homes. Who better to pray for them than their wives?The things we are praying together, we declare out loud in faith that God is bringing these things about according to His Word and His will.
Pray with me, inserting the name of your husband (most of these things you can also pray for your children and yourself, as well):
We thank and praise You that in Jesus Christ, my husband, _________________, is:
- The head and not the tail. (Deut. 28:13)
- More than a conqueror. (Rom. 8:37)
- Seated in the heavenlies with Jesus. (Eph. 2:6)
- Able to walk in the power and holiness of Jesus. (Eph. 6:10, 2 Tim. 1:7)
- The priest and leader of our family. (1 Cor. 11:3, 1 Pet. 2:5)
- A beautiful representation of the love, humility, leadership, and sacrifice of Jesus in our family. (Eph. 5:22-33)
- Able to see the God-given way out of any temptation. (1 Cor. 10:13)
- Able to hear God’s voice clearly and to obey Him. (John 10:27)
- Able to experience the victory of Christ every day over sin and this world. (Deut. 20:4, Rom. 6:14, Rom. 8:31)
- Being conformed into the image of Jesus for the glory of God. (Rom. 8:28-29)
- Held firmly in the loving hand of Jesus and protected by God the Father. (John 17:11)
- Able to find and live out his God-given calling, spiritual gifts, and ministry. (1 Cor. 12:7)
- Fruitful for the kingdom of Christ. (John 15:5, Gal. 5:22-23)
- Filled to overflowing with the Living Water of Christ. (John 7:38)
I thank and praise You that my husband is blessed to be able to:
- Humble himself before You, recognizing how great and exalted You are and how lowly he is.
- Mourn before You over his own sin and over sin and injustice in this world and that You will comfort him.
- Hunger and thirst for righteousness and he will be filled!
- Be merciful so that he will be shown mercy.
- Be pure in heart for He will see God.
- Be a peacemaker and a child of God.
- Be persecuted in this world because of righteousness.
- Be a citizen of heaven.
Or I can pray the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23) over my family members and myself:
I thank and praise You that Your Spirit is working mightily in my husband, children, and myself to produce heavenly, eternal fruit in us. You are bringing forth unconditional love, divine joy, supernatural peace, godly patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control in us. Thank You, Lord!
I can pray Romans 8 over us:
I thank and praise You that we now have the mind of Christ and are no longer under the control of the flesh! Our minds are now life and peace in Jesus! We have the power of the Spirit to put to death the misdeeds of the body. We don’t have a spirit of fear but a Spirit of sonship with Christ Jesus! Thank You that we are all co-heirs with Christ! Thank You that if we share in His sufferings, we can also share in His glory! Thank You that Your Spirit intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
Thank You that You use all things – good and bad – to accomplish Your good purposes in our lives. That You will cause everything to work for our ultimate good and Your glory. Thank You that You are conforming us to the image of Jesus through all that is happening around us and to us. We receive all that You want to do in our lives. Thank You that we are predestined to be Your children. We are called. We are justified by the blood of Jesus. We will be glorified with You in heaven!
Thank You for Your incredible generosity in providing Jesus for our salvation and that You will provide all that we need here in this life and in eternity! Thank You that nothing can separate us from the love of God through Jesus. Thank You that we are more than conquerors through Christ!
Or I could pray the prayers of Paul. Or pray through some of the Psalms. Or the promises of Scripture for believers.
This is a great way to pray for our children, others, and ourselves, as well!
Teach us to walk in Your righteousness, in obedience, and in holiness as we begin to truly grasp the depths of Your love and provision for us. Teach us to pray powerfully and effectively to help birth Your will and Your purposes in our lives and in the lives of those all around us for Your glory! Thank You for the honor and high privilege of prayer that You have given us. Help us to appreciate and value this incredible gift and how You have decided to allow us to be part of Your work on earth.
What are some ways you love to pray for others and for yourself? We’d love to hear about it.
How Can I Be Sure I Am Praying According to the Will of God? by www.gotquestions.org
What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, “Ask and You Shall Receive?” by www.gotquestions.org
What Is the Key to Effective Prayer? by www.gotquestions.org
E.M. Bounds book “The Necessity of Prayer” – free download