It helps me to have proper reverence for God when I think about Him in this passage of Scripture:
…among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. Revelation 1:13-18
Ways we can show honor and reverence for God:
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength remembering that Jesus says that those who love Him will obey Him.
- Love others with God’s love.
- Yield yourself fully to Him as Lord and Master in every area of your life – holding nothing back. Submit to Him.
- Exalt Him far above anyone or anything else in your life. Make Him more important than anything or anyone.
- Praise Him joyfully with spoken or written words! Sing to Him with all your heart!
- Thank Him all throughout the day.
- Desire to know Him deeply. Feast on His Word
- Trust and believe Him!
- Be still before Him in anticipation rather than rushing ahead with your own plans.
- Reverence that He holds all power and that He reigns in sovereignty over the universe.
- Receive that God’s Word is Truth and Life. Reject every other message as false, resist the lies of the enemy, and build your life on His Truth and His Word alone! Think rightly about God, yourself, and others.
- Ask God to show you any sin in your heart so He can empower you to get rid of it and maintain fellowship with Him.
- Desire to live a holy and obedient life – not by your power, but by the power of the Holy Spirit working in you.
- Hate sin the way He does.
- Hunger to learn more about His wisdom, His Word, and His character.
- Delight yourself in the Lord in good times and in times of suffering, trusting Him to use the good and bad things for your ultimate good and His ultimate glory.
- Approach Him with great humility and lowliness, realizing He is King of kings and Lord of lords and you are “made of clay.”
- Acknowledge that He is the Greatest Treasure there is. Nothing on earth can compare with Him.
- Allow Him to transform you to be more like Jesus.
- Love the Body of Christ and work for the love and unity of His people.
- Acknowledge that God’s wisdom is infinitely greater than any human wisdom. Trust Him more than self.
- Seek God’s approval alone, not the approval of people or the world.
- Ask God to give You His eyes, His heart, and His mind.
- Mediate on His Word. Memorize it.
- Be willing to do anything He asks of you with joy just because it brings Him pleasure.
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
“The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord” Romans 6:23. On our own, what we earn is hell, not heaven, according to the Bible because “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” Romans 3:23. If you do not have Christ as Savior and Lord and you realize you are not right with God (which none of us are apart from Jesus) and you want to receive His gift of love and Life, you can choose Him today! Let me know if you want to talk more about this. 🙂
Thankfully, God loves us too much to leave us hopeless and helpless, even though we fall so far short of His standard of perfection. He is holy and just and cannot ignore our sin debt. Someone must pay in order for there to be justice.
That is why God came Himself in the form of Jesus Christ to pay the price for the things we have done wrong in God’s sight so that we can have a relationship with Him and be with Him now and forever. When we receive Christ and all He has done for us, He puts our sin in Jesus’ account and His righteousness in our account.
“Cheap grace is the grace we bestow on ourselves. Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession…. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
This is not a list of ways to earn salvation or to “earn God’s love.” It is not about legalism or checking boxes.
This post is about the kinds of things we want to do because we have new life in Christ and we love Him and long to honor Him in every way we possibly can. Each suggestion is based on Scripture. If we are in Christ, He has brought us from spiritual death to spiritual life!
Everything good in us is about His finished work on the cross on our behalf almost 2000 years ago and His work in us daily. He changes our hearts so that we want more and more of Him and we want more of all of the things that draw us to His heart. Our old sinful nature was crucified on the cross and buried with Christ.
We are raised to life with a new nature in Christ and now we are alive to God and no longer slaves to sin (Romans 6)! Our job is to love Him, trust Him, receive all He has for us, and to yield control to Him as Lord. He gave all of Himself for us in love, now we give all of ourselves to Him in love.
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27
What are some ways you seek to show reverence for God?
What Does It Mean to Have the Fear of God? – from Got Questions?
The Peaceful Wife book