I know this is “off-topic” to becoming godly wives in some ways – although the way we respond when a crisis looms does reveal our level of faith in God and it helps us to see if we have been trusting in other things. What better thing to do than to gather to pray together, encourage, support, and bless each other and talk together about what is going on. Let’s see the situation with God’s perspective and wisdom and let’s look to God together.
I know that things are looking very unstable in the world right now – and it would be easy to panic and be filled with fear.
Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10
I realize that America cannot help but be headed for very difficult times in the future financially and morally. I don’t know when and how things will deteriorate. But I want us as believers to be ready. We have made so many sinful choices as a nation and as individuals – we have turned our backs on God. We have spit in His face. We have made it clear we don’t want God or His ways – we only want His blessings materially. And we pridefully think we can get those for ourselves without Him, too.
God does not ignore any sin. He does not sweep it under the rug. Either we will repent and return to Him and allow the blood of Jesus to cover our massive sin debt to God, or we will reap what we have sown for decades.
- We have aborted over 57.5 million babies since 1973 in our country alone.
- We stopped teaching the Bible in our schools and stopped prayer in our schools decades ago and now we teach children that there is no God and we worship the theory of evolution so that we don’t have to be accountable to God or His Word.
- We have rampant immorality, dishonesty, idolatry, lust, porn/drug/gambling/alcohol addictions, abuse, hatred, prejudice, bitterness, gossip, apathy toward God, apathy toward the poor/widows/orphans/foreigners, corruption, impurity, pride, self-righteousness, false religion, stealing, embezzling, disrespect for God-given authority, killing, and every manner of evil.
- We call evil good and good evil – which is great sin in God’s sight.
- We have warped and destroyed God’s design for marriage in many ways over the past century. Not just in our recent approval of homosexual marriage. Our rebellion against God regarding marriage began over a century ago – in the way we rejected God’s design for marriage between a man and a woman and how we allowed a few feminist atheist leaders to undermine the existence of God, God’s Word, God’s authority, God’s design for femininity, masculinity, marriage, and the family. We supported no-fault divorce which was very destructive to countless millions of families and now we have a generation of young people who don’t even want to be married or know how to be married in a healthy way. We were determined to say that men and women are the same and that the roles in marriage are interchangeable. Well, if the roles are interchangeable and men and women are “the same” – the natural end result of that line of thought has to be homosexual marriage and “gender fluidity.” Where else could the trajectory go that was set many decades ago? Sin is always progressive – for individuals, for nations, and from one generation to the next. A sin that one generation begins to tolerate, the next celebrates so many times. What else would children think about marriage but that homosexual marriage, gender fluidity, bi-sexuality, immorality, and wives should lead rather than husbands if they have grown up in this environment where truth is subjective, there is no God, we can decide what is right for ourselves, and masculinity/femininity are interchangeable?
- We don’t trust God. We trust ourselves, the dollar, the economy, the government, the president, our stuff… We worship sports, beauty, youth, power, self, autonomy, wealth, medicine, our understanding of science, gadgets, popularity, romance, happiness, marriage… all kinds of things other than God.
- We have had unprecedented material prosperity and unprecedented greed. We have idolized money and materialism.
- We, as a nation, have turned our backs on Israel.
- We have been so prideful – thinking that nothing could ever destroy us. We began to take credit for making ourselves great instead of humbly realizing that God made us great for His glory and to accomplish His divine purposes. God is sovereign, not the USA. There is no mention of America in the Great Tribulation period of the end times. We will not be a world super power then. Something will take us down. If the end times are coming soon – and they may well be – we have to be out of the way.
God has very patiently given us many decades to repent, and yet, we continue to rebel against Him. We are storing up wrath and judgment for ourselves. The Old Testament is filled with examples of countries who rebelled against God and who refused to repent and were eventually destroyed. They chose destruction over God. They chose their gods over the true God. They chose their sin over God.
We do have the choice whether we will love and obey God or not – but we don’t have the choice about the consequences.
Besides our unsustainable and massive sin-debt we owe corporately to God – we have an unsustainable massive financial debt as individuals and as a nation. We abandoned God’s sound financial principles long ago. There is only so much money we can print before it is worthless. We can only borrow so much before no one will loan us more money and our creditors will demand that we pay them back. No one is big enough to bail us out. Our national debt is now about $18 trillion dollars. That is $154,000 per tax payer – which is quite a problem. And then we also owe much more in our unfunded liability entitlement programs. Some estimates say that what we owe in social security, federal pension plans, Medicaid, and Medicare is about the same or possibly double the dollar amount as the entire GDP of the whole world in 2012. (I have seen estimates of $80 trillion to $127 trillion.) Each tax payer would need to pay $500,00 to $1.1 million dollars just for the unfunded liabilities alone to pay for these programs.
The situation is beyond any human ability to correct. The system is too big. No president, government, or economist can fix this. They can make it worse, sure. Or slow it down a bit. But we have made unwise, selfish, greedy stewardship and spending decisions for decades – and there is a point at which the system cannot go on.
What will this mean? I don’t know exactly. But I believe there will be very difficult economic times ahead for all of us like none of us have probably ever seen before at some point.
BUT – God is sovereign. And He is in control. We don’t have to face this with fear or panic.
No matter what happens, let’s cling to Him. Let’s obey Him. Let’s seek Him far above all else. Let’s worship and praise Him. Let’s rejoice in our suffering and trials (James 1:4-5). Let’s depend totally on God and His wisdom. Let’s get things right with God and with others. Let’s seek to get out of debt and to make wise stewardship decisions. Let’s pray that God might empower us to be obedient and faithful to Him no matter what may happen or when. Let’s pray that God will prepare and equip us to shine for His kingdom. Let’s be about our Father’s business. Let’s disciple many for Christ. Let’s share the Good News of the Gospel while we have freedom and the ability to do so. Let’s pray for and reach out to our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ and to those in need! Let’s make the most of every opportunity for the Kingdom!
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
We all need You desperately! We love You and we trust You. You are our Ever-present Help in trouble, our Refuge, our Strength, and our Shield. We trust our countries, our world, the economy, our families, and our lives into Your loving, sovereign hands. You are good. You are in control. You hold the supply lines for all of the nations in Your hands – for our food, water, oil, gas, electricity, internet, and everything. You are our Provider. You know what is ultimately best for Your people, Your Kingdom, and the world. Your kingdom come, Lord! Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven!
Increase our faith. Refine and chisel us to become strong and mature in Christ. May we hold the things of this world very loosely in our hands – and cling to the treasures of heaven instead! May we fully submit to Christ as Lord of ALL! Let us have Your Spirit’s power to do Your Kingdom’s work. Use our lives for Your glory, Lord! Give us Your wisdom and direction for each step we need to take. Cause THIS generation to rise and become a godly generation – bring a Great Awakening like we have never seen! Let us know You and live holy lives that are worthy of You by Your power working in us. Bring many precious lost souls to Christ! Make us faithful!!!
In the Name and power of Christ our Lord,