I don’t know if you realize this, but almost no one in the church is confronting us as Christian women about our sin today – to our great detriment.
That is a HUGE problem.
- If we don’t even realize we have sin in our lives – we can’t begin to do anything about it.
- In our culture today, many times we make excuses for our sin, or rename sin to make it sound more palatable. And – unfortunately – many times we are not taking full responsibility for our own sin.
We have bought the idea that we are somehow morally or spiritually superior to men or to other people. But that is not what scripture teaches.
Scripture teaches that ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23.
God makes no distinction between the sins of men vs. women. We are ALL wretched sinners before a holy God.
ALL sin separates us from God and destroys us spiritually and hurts those around us. If I cherish any sin in my heart, the sinful nature is in control and I forfeit God’s Spirit working powerfully in me and filling me when I grieve His Spirit.
GOD HATES SIN
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5
- If I have ANY of the fruit of the flesh going on in my life – I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM!
- I cannot be godly/righteous on my own at all. I HAVE to have God’s Spirit flooding my soul to live like God wants me to.
- If I don’t have all of the fruit of God’s Spirit growing and increasing in my life on a daily basis – I ALSO have a BIG PROBLEM! This is not the life God wants for me – He wants me filled with His Spirit and power every moment. Until we get rid of ALL SIN, we don’t have God’s Spirit filling us. I remember the shock when I first began to feel God’s peace about 5 years ago. “Wow! So THIS is what peace feels like?!?!” I had been a believer in Christ since I was 5 years old – but I had not experienced much of God’s peace and joy until I laid down all my sin and really began to submit myself FULLY to Him!
My precious sisters in the Lord – we have been so deceived about SO MANY things in our culture to think they are ok when God says they are sin:
- pride (thinking I’m always right! I know best! Everyone needs to do what I say. This was Satan’s sin, and is a root sin of MANY other sins. Satan tried to be equal to God. Unfortunately, I believe I actually set myself ABOVE God in my heart, thinking I knew better than God and I was above having to obey Him in some areas, that I was excused from having to obey certain parts of God’s Word. My pride was OFF THE CHARTS)
- self-righteousness (I’m better than my husband. I’m better than other people. Jesus had more intolerance for this than just about anything else. This was the sin of the Pharisees. He condemned it over and over again.)
- idolatry of self or trying to be in control ourselves (Idolatry means something I believe I MUST HAVE to be content and happy that is not Christ.)
- idolatry of romance (If I don’t have romance in my marriage, I am justified in doing whatever I want to do and I don’t have to obey God’s Word anymore.)
- idolatry of happiness (If I am not happy, I am allowed to do anything it takes to make myself happy even if it is sinful. Happiness is my ultimate goal, not obedience to Christ.)
- idolatry of beauty/thinness (including eating disorders)
- idolatry of expectations
- greed, love of money (idolatry of money)
- having no FEAR of God, not trembling before Him, not trusting in and understanding His sovereignty. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
- people pleasing
- having unhealthy boundaries and trying to control others or allowing them to control us
- lack of faith in God
- immodesty (What Guys Think about the Issue of Modesty)
- possibly the use of certain types of birth control
- lack of godly love for other people
- losing our temper/yelling/screaming/calling people names/cussing (this is sin even when we have PMS)
- embracing ungodly definitions of femininity, God, ourselves, masculinity, marriage, family or anything else
- thinking that women are morally/spiritually superior to men
- encouraging other women to disrespect God or their husbands or to try to control God, their husbands or other people
- giving unbiblical advice to others
- not training our children in the nurture, admonition, truth and love of God and His Word
- nagging, criticizing, humiliating, belittling, making fun of and verbally destroying our husbands
- encouraging unbiblical divorce for others
- not apologizing and repenting to God and our husbands (and others) for our sin – or apologizing half-heartedly but then justifying and excusing our sin and not taking full responsibility
- defending ourselves pridefully instead of listening
- sex outside of marriage
- abortion (Psalm 139 – God creates babies in the womb and knows them by name and has plans for their lives. He does not give us the right to destroy another person’s life. That is murder.)
- lust (including emotional lust or sexual lust when we read romantic novels or watch romantic movies or look at porn)
- apathy toward the poor
- lack of sharing the gospel
- disrespect towards our husbands
- disrespect for any God-given authority
- usurping our husbands’ God-given authority
- divorcing our husbands for unbiblical reasons
- disobedience to God about ANYTHING
- living in worry and anxiety instead of faith in Christ
If we don’t realize we are sinning, but continue on being deceived, we continue to cause more and more destruction in our own lives and in the lives of those around us and we will grow farther and farther away from Christ. That is what happened to me for so long earlier in our marriage. How I WISH someone had confronted me about my sin!!!!! Yes, it would have been painful, but it is always better to be confronted earlier rather than later about sin.
The more I continue in sin, the more my heart becomes hard until I lose all sensitivity to God’s voice
Jesus died for our sins! His blood is MORE than sufficient to cover any sin we have committed. That is GOOD NEWS because we are ALL wretched sinners in desperate need of the grace of God. NONE of us can earn our way to be right with God. God laid our sin on His Son’s shoulders and poured out all of His wrath that we deserved onto His perfect Son so that we could receive the gift of forgiveness for every sin and eternal life with God in heaven. Jesus is the only way to God the Father. We can have new hearts, minds and spirits in Him. He is able to give us NEW LIFE. He can crucify our old sinful nature and we can put on a new man in Christ!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!
- We can repent and turn from every sin.
- We can acknowledge that our sin is wrong in God’s holy eyes.
- We can begin moving toward Christ and accept His forgiveness and His gift of His death in our place – receiving Him as our SAVIOR.
- We can commit ourselves to Him as LORD – submitting ourselves fully to His will and to His Lordship and seeking to please and obey Him above all else out of gratitude for all the grace, mercy and forgiveness He has given to us that we did not deserve.
- He can fill us with His Spirit and we can find TRUE peace, contentment, satisfaction, acceptance, purpose, identity and springs of Living Water in Him! He can empower us to live lives of obedience to His Word.
ONCE WE KNOW CHRIST JESUS AND HIS SACRIFICE FOR US – WE CANNOT GO ON DELIBERATELY SINNING!
This is a VERY sobering warning from scripture for us all!!!
If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] and again, “The Lord will judge his people.”[e] 31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the handsof the living God. HEBREWS 10