A Heavenly Marriage Proposal – How to Have a Relationship with Christ
WHAT IS SIN?
There are many sins – greed, selfishness, lust, idolatry (putting something before God in our hearts), stealing, gluttony, addictions of every sort, un-forgiveness, envy, taking God’s name in vain, adultery, lying, rage, slander, gossip, refusing to help those in need, apathy, hatred, bitterness, grudges, disobeying God’s Word by doing something against it or by not doing something He asks us to do…. They all separate us far from the one and only holy God of the universe.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT OUR SIN? HOW DOES HE DEAL WITH IT?
Sin is anything that “misses the mark” of God’s holiness – it is an archery term for when the arrow misses the target. God is a holy God – yes He is Love – but He is also holy – He is pure and undefiled by sin. He cannot tolerate being in the presence of sin. And God is perfectly just – He must demand proper payment for wrongs that have been done. He will not allow injustice.
This is a HUGE problem for all of us! None of us are able to be good enough to impress God and earn our way to be with Him in heaven. “All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags.” Isaiah 64:6b Our best behavior on our own is literally like “filthy, bloody menstrual rags” in God’s sight. He cannot overlook any sin. He cannot ignore it. The Bible says:
- ”All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23
- “For the wages (paycheck that is earned) of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23
- “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works (good deeds), so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9 (God REALLY hates us boasting about how good we are. Jesus Himself said, only God is good. We can’t be good enough on our own. Only perfection will do. That’s why we need His incredible gift so desperately. Accepting Jesus’ gift of forgiveness and payment for our millions of dollars worth of sin debt creates gratitude and humility in our hearts – and those qualities are very beautiful in God’s sight.)
- Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” John 3:3
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
- If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” Romans 10:9-11
- And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. II Corinthians 5:15
- Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. Revelation 3:20
THE HOLY HERO
When we were unable to do anything about our sinful and wretched condition and still dead spiritually in our sins, Jesus was willing to set aside His glory as God, take on a human body, live as a man, and then take on the unfathomable weight of the sin of the entire world onto His pure, undefiled, holy soul on the cross to pay the penalty that we deserved and that we earned. He bore the colossal weight of every sin ever committed and overcame death to rescue us – if we will but accept His gift, put our trust and faith in Him, love Him with our whole hearts and live our lives surrendered to Him. We can’t earn this relationship! He is willing to take our sin and the death we deserved in exchange for giving us His life, His right relationship with God, His holiness, His power, His heaven… WOW!
We deserved death. We deserved condemnation from a Holy God. But God loved us too much to leave us in that awful condition. He made a way for us to be made right with Him and to be able to have a relationship with Him.
HIS LONGING FOR US
He longs for us to love Him with all that we are – to worship Him as the Lord of our lives – the One Who is in charge. He longs for us to follow Him, delight in Him, praise Him, thank Him, worship Him and reverence Him every day of our lives.
He desires to love us, lead us, cherish us, make us more and more like Him, to be one spirit with us, to know us intimately, for us to know Him deeply and to prepare us to be His radiant, sinless, spotless bride in heaven (Ephesians 5:27) – where a great wedding feast awaits all who love and trust in Him!
But He will not force us to love Him. He is a Gentleman – and He gave us a free will so that we can choose to love or reject Him and His gift of life forever with Him as His bride.
LOSING THE SHACKLES OF SIN THAT HOLD YOU CAPTIVE
I pray that you might be sensitive to God’s Holy Spirit speaking to your heart today. I pray that you might be willing to confess every known sin in your heart to God today. I pray that you might ask Him to forgive you by the power of Jesus’ blood. There is no sin that Jesus’ blood cannot cleanse from our souls. I pray that you might repent (turn 180 degrees away from sin and toward Jesus) and live for Him from this day on!! This is how we throw off the weight of sin that entangles us!
I pray that you might say “Yes!” to His invitation to be your Savior and LORD – the One Who deeply knows you, yet loves you anyway – the One from Whom you have no secrets and no room to brag. I pray that you might say, “Yes!” to the One Who gave up His life and suffered and died in your place – paying for your sins – so that you could live a spiritually abundant life now and live with Him happily ever after in heaven forever! I pray you might discover what an incredibly gentle, selfless, loving, unfailing, trustworthy, faithful, good, strong, powerful Lord Jesus is and find His narrow path that leads to life.
If you are interested in giving your heart and life to Jesus – you are welcome to leave a comment – or you can read more in your Bible, or speak to a strong Bible-believing Christian or Bible-believing pastor who can tell you more about how to have a living relationship with the King of kings and Lord of lords that will give you life forever in heaven with Him in the future, and a life of spiritual abundance, adventure, forgiveness, peace, joy and freedom from sin here on earth.
This first step is called, “salvation” or being “born again” when God gives us spiritual new life. But then we continue daily to be spiritually intimate with Jesus and telling Him about any other sin issues we have so that we continually throw off every sin and live to honor Christ. We live for Him from this point on, seeking to yield our lives to Him, to live in the power of His Spirit, to know Him more deeply, to walk in obedience to Him (by His power working in us) and to bring Him the greatest glory in all that we do. He is in charge now, not us!
OUR GREAT BEAUTY IN GOD’S SIGHT
When we throw off the weight of our sin, we are able to be truly beautiful spiritually in the eyes of God and our husbands as God’s Spirit fills us to overflowing! Then we are able to have the gentle, peaceful spirit that does not give way to fear that is so gorgeous and lights us up with the joy of Jesus! That is when we soar on wings like eagles and live life to its absolute fullest!
John Piper – The Joyful Duty of Man
John Piper – The Danger: Perishing