Time for a Pop Quiz

600705_40023265

The phone rings.

It’s unexpected bad news.

What goes through your mind first?

YESTERDAY:

I got a call from my boss.  My hours are being cut from 12 guaranteed hours/week (sometimes I work up to 20-23 hours/week as a pharmacist) to 3 hours/week in 2 weeks.

Totally unexpected.

We are still waiting to hear if my husband’s job will have furloughs this year or not.

DECEMBER 2009

The last time this happened, I was a pharmacist part time at Walgreens.  It was the week before Christmas.  I found out on the way to my shift that suddenly “there aren’t enough hours for you anymore.”  I went from 24 hours/week to 8 hours/week.  We had already bought Christmas gifts and the week after Christmas, both of our children had birthdays.  We had to take gifts back to the store.

I was devastated that time for 3 days.  Then, I began to trust God.

But, somehow, in the process, my reaction wounded my husband.  It was a very difficult time for him.

NOW I GET A DO-OVER

I don’t mind cutting unnecessary purchases from our budget.  It doesn’t bother me if we don’t go to restaurants or on vacations.  Thankfully, we learned a lot about being more frugal the last time my hours were cut.

My biggest concern is –  I desire to handle the situation this time in a way that supports and honors my husband’s drive to provide financially for our family – and in a way that most honors my Lord.

I TALKED TO OUR CHILDREN

When we got home yesterday, I took our children to God’s Word.  We read the passages below and got down on our knees together and prayed for God’s will for our family.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.  For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified.  What then shall we say in response to this?  If God is for us, who can be against us?  Romans 8:28-31

WHERE IS GOD?

He is RIGHT HERE with me!  Each day is an adventure – what will He do next?  What surprises does He have in store?  I thank and praise Him for the faith He has worked in my heart that is not wavering.

I am not panicking.

I am not freaking out.

This time – I didn’t even cry.  Although that would be a normal reaction – and we will often have emotions to work through, especially when we first face bad news.

I am thankful.

I am hopeful.

I am expectant.

I am full of His peace – which is totally from Him – not from me at all.

I can’t wait to see what my amazing God is about to do.

WHAT CAN BE GOOD ABOUT LOSING A HUGE PART OF OUR INCOME?

• What if God wants us to learn to depend on Him more fully and this is the path to a deeper faith?
  • What if God wants to use me as a godly example to others of living in faith during a trial?
  • What if God has things for us to learn as a couple, as a family, or for me individually as a believer that I can only learn in difficulty?
  • What if His will includes suffering?  Actually, I know that it will include suffering – His Word promises that!  I thank and praise God that He is able to use problems and difficulties and suffering and even persecution to make my faith more mature and to make me more like Jesus.
  • What if God has a door for me that I wouldn’t have seen if this door had not been shut?
  • God uses trials to help us see where our faith is.  How strong is my faith, really?  It must be tested and refined by fire.  I willingly yield myself to the tests.
  • This is an incredible opportunity to live out my faith and to trust God’s sovereignty.

I yield myself daily to God as fully as I know how.  I am totally  Yours, Lord!  I seek Your greatest glory with my life!  I want only Your will and I want all of Your good, pleasing and perfect will!

God’s ways are infinitely higher than my own.

He alone knows the plans He has for me.  He is already in my future.  He knows the way to His will.  I do not!  So I trust Him and am willing to follow Him wherever He will lead me.

PLEASE PRAY WITH ME FOR:

1. God to be greatly glorified and His Name to be highly exalted in my life

2. Me to walk deeper and deeper in my faith in Him and to trust Him more fully

3. My husband and I to have the mind of Christ, to be united, to seek Him both individually and together with even greater passion and desire for Him than ever before

4. Our children to witness a godly example of dealing with trials that will give them wisdom, strength, direction and hope in the future

5. God to direct our steps and give us light for each day

6. Wisdom for my husband to lead us as God desires him to

7. That our example might honor God and draw others to a deeper faith in Him

8. That we might rest peacefully in God’s love and provision

9. That God might direct my steps and my career according to His will alone

10. That we might be sensitive to God’s voice and quick to obey no matter what He asks of us

, , , , ,

29 Comments on “Time for a Pop Quiz”

1. Martha
    March 26, 2013 at 7:05 am #

April,

I have just prayed with love through your specific list of requests. May the God of All Hope encourage you and Greg as you process this new development in your family’s life. And may Our Great God be Glorified through your faith in Him!

2. trixie1466
    March 26, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Peacefulwife,

I’m praying for you and myself from your list. I’m struggling too with a situation requiring great trust in God and I thank you for your good example.

God Bless!

March 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Trixie1466,
      Thank you for praying with me, and i thank God if this is a helpful prayer for you to pray for yourself, too.

3. Emily C
    March 26, 2013 at 8:16 am #

Thank you Jesus for redemption and re-dos!

April, thankful for all you’ve learned and can put into play! Excited to see what God does and praying for you guys!

4. Maggie Allen
    March 26, 2013 at 9:23 am #

I thank God for your inspiring prayer. I KNOW that God HAS made a way for you n this wilderness. I, too, have lost work and my trust is in none other but The Lord. He will not suffer your foot to be removed. He is birthing something new and I am excited to see where he is leading you as well as myself. Blessed be the name of The Lord. Maggie

5. Ryan
    March 26, 2013 at 9:40 am #

We all go through unexpected trials at time, but it’s a testament to the faith you place in The Lord as to how you handle it.

I have no doubt you and your family will handle this step and come out shining in his light at the end.

6. Robyn
    March 26, 2013 at 9:48 am #

7. Anna Popescu
    March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am #

“I can’t wait to see what my amazing God is about to do.” Amen, Sister! I will be keeping you and your family in prayer during this waiting period. I can’t wait to see what God will do either!

Blessings!
    ~Anna

8. Heather
    March 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

God is so merciful! Thankfully, He gives opportunities to mature in areas where we’ve previously failed.

Your positive and hopeful attitude is a wonderful encouragement, April.

March 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Thank you, Heather! I pray God will empower me to do this His way. :)

9. Annie
    March 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

One chapter closed, another to open :) With your experience and your qualifications, it will be no sweat getting something better. I personally would treat myself to something to feel better. I did that :) Does work.
    Also most importantly, you will rise above this.

ANNIE :)

10. Leigh-Anne J
    March 27, 2013 at 9:41 am #

April, when I read about your situation, I couldn’t help but immediately wonder if this is not God’s way to give you your heart’s desire-to work full time with women……Hmmm only time will tell. God is in this and may He continue to direct your footsteps. You are such a blessing!!

March 27, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Leigh-Anne,
      That is on my heart, too! I pray God might show me the way – because it is uncharted territory for me! Thank you for your prayers. :)

11. anonymous
    March 27, 2013 at 10:52 am #

I stand in agreement with you April, on all those things you prayed for. I also commend you and God if course for your growth. Please agree in prayer for me for the same things. I did not get a class for the upcoming quarter andwe need that income as well. I am strengthen by the memory of the last time this happened and how God carried us. We have greater burdens now with college costs but there will be greater testimony!

March 27, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Of course I will pray this for you, too, Anonymous! :)

Yes – may our faith be strengthened and may we glorify God!

12. Angelique
    March 28, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I’m thrilled April to see what God has in store. Beth Moore says in one of her books, God’s
    “No” is because of a greater “YES”
    May His will continue to be done in your life!! Much love to you!

13. coastiewife321
    April 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

I will be praying for you!!! God definitely has a plan for you, and YEY for you responding SO well through HIS grace! It’s hard to know what the future might hold–I never imagined that as a 28 year old I would have 2 kids and we’d be living full time with my in-laws when hubby went back to school full time, but God has shown us that is where he wants us right now (if you ever need tips on surviving with a shoe string budget I’m your gal, haha) May God give us both grace as He shows us the difference between wants and needs, and how to be graceful and trusting in all thing during this season of our lives!!

April 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

Coastline wife, Thanks so much for the encouragement and support! I love your wisdom and beautiful attitude! You are a blessing!

Sent from my iPad

14. espressolane
    April 7, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

So sorry to hear about this unfortuate news April. But, you are absoluately correct. He walks beside us when we have to walk thru valleys deep or wide….he is beside us the entire time. There is always something valuable that we take with us after these trials and valleys are over. Drawing nearer to his word and increasing prayer lives within your home. Maybe he has blessed you with this tiime off in disquise to spend quality 1 on 1 time with your children to enrich their walk with The Lord, to reach other to others who are hurting within your community, and to increase your prayer life and be a walking testimony to others. ::hugs:: I will be adding you to my prayer list…. Keep your eyes towards him and remember all things work together for GOOD according to his word! <3 Love in Christ!

April 8, 2013 at 6:57 am #

Thank you for the prayers and wisdom and encouragement, Espressolane!

I appreciate it so very much!

15. Robyn
    April 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Very interesting – I replied to this post (March 26) “This will be an invaluable experience for all of you!! Although it’s a struggle to walk through the trials, we are SO much stronger on the other side.

I have found that the Word is what gives me legs to stand on. While walking through the trials (especially financial ones) are what builds my muscles of faith.”

Fast forward a mere 10 days and what do I find out Friday morning at 9:30am? My husband is on his way home from work … not to return – his position is no longer required.

hmmmm …. here we ‘grow’ again … time to grow more muscles :)

And here I thought I had already grown those muscles as big as they needed to be – Back to Romans 8:28!!

Interesting point on the timeline though. We are a homeschooling family and our last 2 kiddos are nearing the end (14 and 15 years old) …. so we agreed that mama would like some time out of the home. I had applied for part time job at The Home Depot; made it through their Job Fair and interview process (a previously timely even) and was offered a job. Guess when it started? ……. That’s right Friday! The very same Friday that we received the ‘wonderful’ news about my husband’s job.

April 8, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Wow.

Yes. This will definitely be a time of learning and growing those faith muscles. I pray that GOd might provide a job your husband will love in His perfect timing by His power and for His glory! Please let me know how I can pray and how things are going.

You are such an inspiration and blessing to me!

16. Robyn
    April 9, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Thanks April, you are to me as well!

You can pray that it’s God’s will that is done. We have no idea what that looks like or what it means for us. I just know that on the other side of it we’ll both be stronger!

And what of your trial — how are you doing?

April 10, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Robyn,

Well – I am at peace with the way things are. I have received several rejections, no offers. But, my boss has offered me 3 days in May and 4 in August. If I could do some relief work to cover vacations and sick days – I think that would probably be ok.

How are things with your husband going?

THanks for the prayers and support! I pray for God to open the doors He has for your husband in His power and His timing that your husband might be able to get back to work quickly and that he might be full of faith in God and not become depressed or discouraged. And I pray for wisdom for you to be able to support and build up your husband during this difficult time.

17. Robyn
    April 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Thanks April! I’m happy to hear about the offers from your boss for May and Aug. Things are going great (rough but great). You know how the issue is never really the issue? God has my husband on the proverbial anvil, using his vocation as the scalpel. Yeah lots of ouchies. There is such a difference this time though, I’m so very proud of him! Rather than trying to crawl off of it, he’s allowing God to dig into him and God is giving me the strength to apply the ‘healing balm’ of … staying out of the way by being supportive.

I appreciate your prayer against depression and discouragement, ty bunches. The real interesting thing is – to be a witness to it. I feel like Ezekiel being invited to take part in the valley of the dry bones! To watch God remake a human being is the most amazing thing to witness :)

April 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

wow! THAT IS AMAZING! I am so glad to hear how well your husband is doing so far. Such a difficult and painful anvil to be on!

I can’t wait to see what God has planned!

Your Constructive Comments Or Questions Are Welcome